Monday, January 16, 2012

HOMEBREWING: Behold my glorious new toy



That, my friends, is a five-gallon oak whiskey barrel from the Balcones Distillery in Waco, Texas. Pop the bung open and the sharp aroma of whiskey hits you right in the face. This saw use for two batches of Rumble before being retired and ending up in my hands.

Why would I want a whiskey barrel? That's easy. So I can stick a big, hefty imperial stout inside it for a couple of weeks. It will pick up oak and whiskey notes and turn into something (hopefully) amazing. Big whiskey barrel-aged beers like KBS aka Kentucky Breakfast Stout are some of the favorites of beer geeks everywhere, including me. After making a few stouts and barleywines for the barrel, I'll probably try my hand at brewing my first sour beer, which I'll age in the barrel for at least a year.

Should be some fun ahead. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment